I’ve been in line at Starbucks quite often. I developed a habit back in college that I never seemed to kick. I love it so much I dedicated one of my Friday Faves to the mobile app. I was thrilled when Starbucks tweeted me back!
Yes, I’m aware this is odd.
Despite how often I go, I only order one drink—chai tea lattes. Only Starbucks can make them the way I like them. Seriously—I’ve tried others but I always come back to Starbucks. Often.
On one particular visit, I became keenly aware of all of things that I think about while I’m waiting in line. There were 35 to be exact.
- Yes, I got a good parking spot.
- It shouldn’t be too crowded.
- Ugh. Why is this line so long?
- Don’t people work?
- I hope the kids behave.
- Ooh—look at those cups.
- Starbucks always has the best cups.
- I bet it would help me drink more water if I bought one.
- I should drink more water.
- I should buy a cup. —“Can I have juice?”
- Starbucks—so smart for putting things eye level for kids. “No, you can’t have the juice”
- Great—does someone think I’m a bad mom because I said no to apple juice? —“Can I have a cookie?”— “No, you can’t have a cookie.”
- Maybe someone thinks I’m a good mom because I said no to the cookie.
- If I get a cookie, I’ll have to give some to E.
- Sharing is overrated.
- Ugh—why am I always behind the person ordering Frappuccino’s for the whole office?
- Why isn’t there a special register for moms with kids?
- Why didn’t I mobile order?
- That woman just came from the gym.
- I should go to the gym.
- She looks cute in her Lulu Lemons.
- Ugh—Lulus are so expensive.
- I guess I could give up Starbucks for…$4 x 3 or 4 visits a week…hmm…that’s a lot of Starbucks in a month. — “No you can’t have a cookie.”
- If I stopped coming to Starbucks for a month I could buy a pair of Lulus.
- Nope, not giving it up.
- I’ll shop at Target instead.
- Man, I spend a lot of money here.
- Ooh—my turn!
- Oh gosh—she knows my order and my name. I just have to nod and smile!
- I don’t know if I should be happy or worried they know me that well.
- Ugh—all those Frappuccinos!!
- I order the easiest drink—just pump the chai and add the milk and then the ice!!
- Why does this take so long!?
- Ahh—chai tea. —“Alright, let’s go.”
Only ten more hours to bedtime…good thing we went to Starbucks!
But seriously—all of this in less than 5-minute time frame?! Thank goodness for caffeine! What goes through your mind when you’re in line at Starbucks…
Author: Sara Robinson
Sara Robinson, MA is the founder of Get Mom Balanced. Growing up she always knew that a traditional 9-5 job would not work out for her: she likes variety, creativity, free-time and also wanted to fit in a family. She is a mom of two young boys, teaches mental skills to athletes, and now helps support moms finding balance with all that they juggle. When she’s not sitting behind a computer she can be found hanging out with her boys, mostly laughing, reading and having dance parties. Go visit her site at Get Mom Balanced.