You know the feeling you get when you are on a road trip with your family and your kids ask, “are we there yet?” for the billionth time? Well, that is basically the feeling you get when you are potty training a toddler.
Potty Training is THE. WORST.
I’ve been through potty training twice and thank goodness I am done because I just about lost my sanity with my last child. After being through it with two children I have gathered a few pieces of advice to impart on those of you who are or will be struggling with potty training.
- Keep lots of chocolate, wine, ice cream and other treats to keep
your child yourself from getting discouraged. Potty training takes a lot out of a mom. If at the end of the day you are asking yourself if you deserve that treat, YOU DO.
- Invest in a subscription to Netflix, Hulu or some other streaming service because you are going to be BORED out of your mind waiting for your little one to drop one.
- If you place your child on the toilet and five minutes later they say they went, DON’T BELIEVE THEM! This is what is called a “Child Fake-Out.” You get super excited, cheer and shout…then you pick them up from the toilet and there is nothing there. For some reason most children LOVE doing this.
- No surface in your home is safe from excrement when you are potty training. Make sure you have plenty of disinfectant wipes, spray, and tissues. Why tissues? Well, because there will be a lot of tears—from you.
- Don’t rush your child. I mean if they don’t seem interested in potty training then wait a few more months and try again. Also, boys are definitely harder to train than girls (in my opinion) so if you’ve got a little boy…well, good luck.
Do you have any good potty training tips? Help another mother out by commenting below!